art for sale
About Wei Dong, Chinese Artist:
Born in 1968 in Inner Mongolia, China, Wei Dong is a classic fine artist that blends a realist aesthetic with his love for the female body.
His works are reminiscent of the great renaissance works in their sense of shadowing and composition. Nevertheless, they are also thoroughly modern with the juxtaposition of traditional Asian motifs, controversial nudity and political symbols.
Wei Dong received his Bachelor of Fine Arts from the China’s Capital Normal University in 1991. Following his graduation he moved to the United States, which allowed him to fully explore his preoccupations with sexual fantasies and erotic themes.
Wei’s works are renowned for their technical brilliance in both acrylic and ink. He is also known for his trademark of blending both classical and modern images – Chinese and Western – alongside biting visual commentary.
In His Own Words:
“I paint others’ faces and bodies, but it’s mostly a very personal experience… about my perception of other people, my own feelings. I even see myself in certain figures.” – Wei Dong, Stux Gallery
– BA, Department of Fine Arts, Capital Normal University, China – 1991
- Chinese Contemporary Gallery, London, UK
- Oriental Foundation, Macau, China
- National Contemporary Gallery, Beijing, China
- Jack Tilton Gallery, New York
- Ntional Museum of Contemporary Art, Seoul, Korea
- Hanart TZ Gallery, Hong Kong
- La Biennale de Issy, France
- Plum Blossoms Gallery, Hong Kong
- Estella Collection of Chinese Contemporary Art, Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Humlebaek, Denmark
- Arndt & Partner Gallery, Zurich, Switzerland
- Lehman Maupin Gallery, New York
- Gothenburg Art Museum, Gothenburg, Sweden
Sources: Juxtapoz, Stux Gallery, Artsy, Plum Blossoms