Artist Spotlight: Juan Ford
His works are lauded for their incredible hyperrealism and contemporary edge. Featuring highly detailed and individual perspectives, Juan Ford explores the relationship between nature and man-made devices using distortion and reflections.
He has received a number of awards for his work, including the Fisher’s Ghost Art prize, the Whyalla Art prize and the Fletcher Jones Contemporary Art prize.
In His Own Words:
“Naturally the paintings I make are a reflection of my personal being somehow, but they’re not really a portraits in and standard portrait format. I prefer to think of them as standing in for the human figure more generally.”
“However the paintings do reflect my views on where we stand in our ecology, how we relate to ‘nature’, and ask questions about whether there really is any difference between what we deem ‘natural’ and ‘human’. Personally I think this destination exists entirely in our heads, but we act out as if were not the case, with serious ramifications.” – Juan Ford (excerpt from an interview with Town Hall Gallery, Australia)
2001 – Master of Arts (Fine Art), RMIT University, Melbourne
1998 – Bachelor of Fine Art (Painting), RMIT University, Melbourne
Recent Solo Exhibitions:
- 2015 Solo Show, This Is No Fantasy + Dianne Tanzer Gallery, Melbourne
- 2014 Art Taipei, GDM projects, Taiwan
- Lord of the Canopy, McClelland Sculpture Park + Gallery, Melbourne
- When We take Flight, Bank of Melbourne in conjunction with National Gallery of Victoria
- 2013 Art Basel Hong Kong, Dianne Tanzer Gallery stand, Hong Kong
- Lord of the Canopy, Mildura Arts Centre, Mildura
- 2012 Dianne Tanzer Gallery, Melbourne
- Lord of the Canopy, a project commissioned for the LaTrobe University Visual Arts Centre, Bendigo
- 2011 Juan Ford: The Instant, Western Plains Cultural Centre, Dubbo, curated by Kent Buchanan
- Make Nature Better, Sullivan+Strumpf Fine Art, Sydney
- 2010 The Day the Machine Started, Dianne Tanzer Gallery, Melbourne Art Fair, Royal Exhibition Centre, Melbourne
- 2009 Simple Interference, Sullivan+Strumpf Fine Art, Sydney
- Juan Ford: Works from 2001 – 2006, 24HR Art, Northern Territory Contemporary Art Centre, Darwin
For more realist works by contemporary artists, Onarto is the destination for buying Thai art and Asian art online. We provide free international shipping and can be contacted for commissions and custom art. Every piece of artwork you purchase will come with a verified Certificate of Authenticity, signed by the artist. All listed artwork prices include paypal and wire bank fees.
Contact us now at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more information. We reply to enquiries within 24 hours.